Funding Research

If you are looking to spend a summer doing research full-time, need to earn money during the school year and would like to do so by working in a laboratory, or have research expenses, you also need to consider how to fund your research.

Most laboratories have funding for research expenses, although if your project is particularly distinct from the other work being done in a lab, you may need to secure funding for special equipment or study participant payments. Some labs also have funds to pay research assistants either in the summer or during the year. If you are being paid for research, you cannot also receive course credit for it. But many labs are only able to take on undergraduate researchers on a volunteer basis.

The right-hand sidebar includes the major sources of research funding for Harvard undergraduates. Most, but not all, will require you to have a specific laboratory or project lined up before applying.